OpenDyslexic v2, and more

The last stable version of OpenDyslexic was released in November 2012. In December of 2012, I had the fantastic privilege of sharing OpenDyslexic at TEDxGateway in Mumbai. There’s been a whirlwind of interviews and OpenDyslexic has been shared continually by many people. My server has gone out a few times from the traffic! Since that time, it’s been picked up by a huge number of application developers, authors, websites, linux distro’s, and has been downloaded well over 111,000 times! Schools are reporting success in using it with their students, and a few studies are being done on OpenDyslexic. There are books printed in OpenDyslexic. Apps are including OpenDyslexic as an option. eBook readers and Tablets are shipping with OpenDyslexic installed.

And now, I’m super excited to officially share OpenDyslexic 2 with you. It includes support for Western European, Central European, South Eastern European, Vietnamese, Afrikaans, and Pinyin. The font smoothing has been improved to look better in Windows. Vertical and horizontal spacing is improved.

This version of OpenDyslexic also adds a variant with an alternate rounded ‘a’ to the stable version. This was a requested by many, and a teacher in England, Rob Carpenter, made all the actual ‘a’ glyphs for it.

One more thing

But there’s one more thing: OpenDyslexicMono. OpenDyslexicMono is a Monospace typeface with many of the features you love in OpenDyslexic: wider letter spacing, heavy letter bottoms, and unique letter shapes. And you can use it in your favorite text editor and terminal app without worrying about awkward spacing issues. I’ve been using it at work for all my source code, and now I’m sharing it with you. If you like using it, remember to share it with others.🙂

If you want to grab a copy now, you can get it from, or download the entire github repo. And the folks at ER Browser are already updating their iOS browser with the new typeface.

Thanks for all your support.
Hope you enjoy.🙂

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in News
12 comments on “OpenDyslexic v2, and more
  1. Lois Ann Gant says:

I heard you show on NPR a few months ago and made a note of it since my other half is Dyslexic. He was speechless and weeping. He said to me, I can actually read. I’m sure you know what he meant. I just want to say THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts for fighting for this and the teacher, sorry I can’t recall the name, who believed in you and sharing this with the world. We have everything that we can changed to OpenDyslexic on our computer!!!!! Thanks again Lois Ann and Kevin

2. Amy says:

Not just for dyslexics: I have ADHD. With OpenDyslexic, my eyes/mind stay on the line I’m reading instead of skipping around. The weighted bottoms of the letters are a huge help.

• Rob Carpenter says:

That’s interesting, I work at a generic Special School and have also found this with some of my ASC and ADHD students – in their words it’s easier to read because the page ‘isn’t so noisy’.

In other words a great all round font for all SEN and if you’re tired and need to read.

• Amy says:

Funny they said less noisy… my thoughts had been along the same lines. Quieter– the page feels quieter

3. Martin Wong says:

My son is struggle in reading with dyslexic. After downloading the font, what other step do I need to make the computer to display this font? Thank you.

4. Louisel says:

I am trying to find out how to download the version with the different a – not the one that this is typing just now. Any help would be much appreciated by me and my pupils.

5. suzie says:

I can see how it will work for a lot of people , but I find it stressing , I wonder if its an age thing.. going to check with my kids ..

• teleflink says:

Age has nothing to do with how a person reacts to this — or any — font. Keep searching for one that works for you. Personally, this is the best. I can read much smaller type with OpenDyslexic than with any other font ever.
      I hope Abelardo Gonzalez will read comments left @ Amazon after they adopted this font for the Kindle e-reader devices and app.

6. DyslexiaDoll says:

This is exciting and interesting, but can somebody please explain how these weighted letters and darker punctuation marks are supposed to help readers with dyslexia? What is the “logic” behind it? Thanks in advance for any responses that correlate the new font(s) with the specific problems of dyslexia/readers with dyslexia or attention deficit problems.